As an Educational Consultant and specialist remedial teacher, Antonia specialises in the remedial management and teaching of learning disorders including the assessment of dyslexia and its associated learning difficulties.
Antonia is experienced in working with students of all ages who have ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorders, epilepsy related learning disorders, intellectual delay and giftedness.
Antonia will refer students who need additional assessment and treatment to reliable psychologists, paediatricians, speech therapists or other professionals.
- Antonia Canaris holds a Master’s in Education (Literacy and Numeracy); a Graduate Certificate in Professional Studies majoring in Autism and a BA Dip. Ed (Music & Italian).
- Antonia is a qualified Orton-Gillingham multisensory educational therapist having studied through the Institute of Multi-Sensory Language Education (IMSLE).
- Antonia is a member of the International Dyslexia Association and the Australian Dyslexia Association.
- Antonia’s further professional studies around learning disorders and remedial teaching include a Lindamood Visualising & Verbalising Certificate for improving comprehension through the development of mental imagery and a Certificate in Spalding Education; a structured phonics-based program for the teaching of reading, spelling and handwriting used in many schools.
- Antonia is one of the founders of Neurosensory an educational service devoted to the treatment of learning disorders and educational deficits.
- Antonia has had extensive experience over many years in the public and private school systems as a special needs teacher and in the private sector where she continues to consult widely with educational authorities on behalf of parents and children in need.
- Antonia is an early intervention autism provider and eligible for funding under the Helping Children with Autism federal government initiative (for children diagnosed with autism prior to their 6th birthday- please enquire).
- Antonia is equally qualified to assist adults.
Antonia is active in education and dissemination of information to the public and professional alike regarding learning disorders and has presented on a number of occasions and topics including:
Dyscalculia and Australia’s Education System 2nd Annual Special Education Needs Summit (Ridges Hotel, World Square Sydney 22-23 May 2018)
Dyscalculia MANSW Annual Conference (Mathematical Association of New South Wales)(Novotel, Wollongong 14-16 September, 2018)
Adults with ADHD: reconnecting with education and employment contribution to ADDults with ADHD (NSW) Inc. Annual Conference October 2013
Dyslexia’s identification and remediation in a school context– a contribution to a conference, ‘Learn Well, Live Well’. A presentation by NSW Department of Education & Communities for 180 teachers and school counsellors at Bankstown 2012.
Presentation to parents and carers to schools and local communities including for example, Dyslexia for parents and carers Rouse Hill Library 2012.
Epilepsy and Autism Literature Review and Case Study of a 24 yr old male in Autism Practitioners Conference given by University of Canberra – Division of Education and Communication February 2006
Square Pegs in Round Holes – Should students with autism be included in regular education’ Autism Spectrum Disorders The Cutting Edge of Treatment and Management – conference given by Centre for Developmental Disability Studies, University of Sydney, August 2005